The Institute of Certified Management Accountant (ICMA) offers seven grades of membership:
Post-Graduate Level: Certified Management Accountant (CMA)
Graduate Level: Associate Management Accountant (AMA) and Graduate Management Accountant (GMA)
Technical Level: Registered Business Administrator (RBA); Registered Cost Accountant (RCA) and Certified Accounting Technician (CAT)
Affiliate Level: Management Accounting Affiliate (MAA)
In addition, there are Student Memberships and Honorary Memberships.
The following information is important to those seeking membership of the ICMA:
- The admission requirements (in terms of qualification and experience) varies for each grade of membership. Honorary membership are conveyed by the Institute to distinguished persons whose services to Management Accounting and related disciplines merit this award of membership.
- A non-refundable Application fee of A$44.00 now applies for new members. Please submit this along with your application (Bank Draft, Visa, MasterCard acceptable).
- Once a member has been accepted by the Membership Committee, a once-off joining fee of A$55 is applicable to cover the cost of the membership certificate and associated joining fees.
Want to enquire first?
Submit an online membership enquiry
Details of membership fees are available on the application form for the following grades of membership :
- Certified Membership (CMA)
- Associate Membership (AMA)
- Graduate Membership (GMA)
- Registered Business Administrator (RBA)
- Registered Cost Accountant (RCA)
- Certified Accounting Technician (CAT)
- Management Accounting Affiliate (MAA)
- Student Membership
ICMA members will be provided with the following services :
- Membership Certificate recognising qualifications and experience in the specialist field of management accounting
- The use of post-nominals in the CMA, AMA, GMA, RBA, RCA, CAT and MAA membership categories. If you are not a financial member, it is prohibited to use these post-nominals or describe yourself as a 'Certified Management Accountant'.
- Up to 4 credit exemptions in many Australian and overseas MBA programs for those successfully completing the Institute's Education Program
- Full access to the cmawebline.org membership sections with links to all associated management accounting web pages around the world
- Institute's bi-monthly e-newsletter On Target
- Access to the Institute's commissioned research publications
- Full access to the Institute's research journal, the Journal of Applied Management Accounting Research (JAMAR)
- Participation in branch and center activities
- Access to membership in special interest groups
- Access to a range of Continuing Professional Development opportunities in the leading edge topics of management accounting
- Networking opportunities with management accounting academics and professionals around the world.
In addition, members can obtain the following at discounted prices :
- Enrolment in its Seminar series on cutting-edge developments in the profession
- The comprehensive Cost Management Advisor manual and updates
Educational Philosophy of the ICMA
The philosophy of the Institute of Certified Management Accountants (ICMA) is predicated on the idea that an active commitment toward excellence is fundamental to the process of education. ICMA utilizes its capacity to create programs that meet the needs of a dynamic society without limiting the educational delivery system. It feels a need for innovative programs that reduce barriers while maintaining standards of quality. The structure and programs are designed to offer a sensitive and stimulating vehicle for the academic and professional pursuits of the full-time working person. Since a need is satisfied, ICMA continues its development as an institution dedicated to growth and excellence and sincere concern for the specific needs of its student membership body.
Student members are offered a variety of methods to obtain their qualification: Directed web-based Independent Study, Classroom Lectures, In-House Seminars and Workshops. ICMA offers guidance, stimulation to growth, support for creativity and learning, evaluation, and access to a community of peers and faculty.
Ultimately, ICMA is committed to scholarship and quality education at the lowest possible cost to its students.
The educational objectives of the Institute of Certified Management Accountants (ICMA) are therefore to further the development of management accounting education in the universities and schools of Australia and Internationally, to encourage research into the application of management accounting theory and practice, and to provide continuing professional development for its members.
In order to achieve the above objectives, the following educational programme has been implemented by the Institute. The programme covers both the requirements to obtain “Graduate” and “Associate” status in the Institute, and also the advanced post-graduate level programme for certification as a “Certified Management Accountant”. Three intermediary technical level qualifications, the Registered Business Accountant(RBA), the Registered Cost Accountant (RCA), and the Certified Accounting Technician (CAT) also form a part of the Graduate programme and are also covered.
Holders of university degrees and professional qualifications in disciplines other than accounting could undertake a Graduate Conversion Program of 4 subjects to satisfy the requirements of Graduate membership (GMA status).
Holders of Australian Technical and Further Education (TAFE) Advanced Diplomas, non accounting degree holders and part-qualified accountants (i.e. those doing the CIMA, ACCA final stages, or the final year of university accounting degrees) need to do the full GMA Conversion program to satisfy the requirements of Graduate Membership (GMA status ).
All Graduate and Associate members must satisfactorily complete the CMA programme of the Institute prior to being certified as a Certified Management Accountant.
Entrance via University :
It is envisaged that students who have obtained a degree in accounting, commerce, business accounting or a related discipline (with a major in accounting) would have satisfied the broad educational objectives of the Graduate member programme. Degree programmes that are not covered by the above categories would need to be accredited by the Institute on a case-by-case basis. Such degree programmes must, as a minimum, be of three-year's duration covering 24 subjects.
Entrance via Recognized Provider Institution :
Students with a pass level at a Country (or State) administered university entrance examination (eg. TER, SAT, IB or 'A' Levels) (or equivalent), may apply to undertake the Graduate Member program exams at a Recognized Provider Institution.