We caught up with our CMA Australia member Arist Caruana who is based in Sydney but travels quite a bit with this role at the World Bank Group.
Tell us something about yourself
I am 61 years old. Born in Malta and am now a proud Australian. I am married with two lovely grown up daughters. We enjoy travelling & in the last few years we have discovered the joys of Cruising. I am fortunate that my work takes me all over the world as well.
I have always enjoyed sport. Was an A grade tennis player, snow ski when I can and currently a Western Sydney Wanders supporter.
In my quiet time I love reading, especially Clive Cussler books.
Can you share as where you work and what you do?
I work for the World Bank Group, East Asia Pacific Region. The Sydney office is the hub for supporting that development of PNG & the Pacific Islands.
Three priorities guide our work with countries to end poverty and boost prosperity for the poorest people. Helping create sustainable economic growth, the surest path out of poverty. Investing in people, through access to health care, education, water and sanitation, and energy. Building resilience to shocks and threats that can roll back decades of progress.
My main area of responsibilities Are :
* Manage the Financial & Administration areas of Sydney & the 11 Pacific Island which also encompass relevant staff oversight.
* Ensure all offices comply with Corp Policies & Internal Controls.
* Main Security Focal point for Sydney and Pacific Islands
* Liaise with various island Ministries for Tax & Customs Immunities for the Bank.
* Main Medical Benefits Plan Administrator for Sydney & the Pacific region.
* Oversee the various offices on their leasing & facility needs.”
Describe a professional achievement that you are proud of?
My most recent achievement is to be rated number 1 in our Corp Scorecard encompassing Control Compliance out of all World Bank offices. We represent 187 countries & most have an office in these locations.
What skills and strengths you bring to the current role?
Main items are:
* Maintain a hands on approach to various issues at hand.
* Keep up to date on all relevant Corp changes as they are implemented.
* Meet deadlines as required.
* Manage staff in an open & fair environment.
What is your favourite online tool
One of my favourite tools is a FX Convertor- Oanda
Who do you admire most and why?
I admire my wife who has to put up with me & has brought up two beautiful daughters.
If you won $10 million in the lottery, what would you do with the money?
The first thing I would do is help my extended family to eliminate or reduce their debts. Such as mortgages, etc.. Then, I would need to think how I will invest the rest to live a happy & fulfilling life. This would include helping some charities as well.
Here are some pictures from Arist’s journey.